New Orleans Historic Sites & Interpretive Centres
Historic New Orleans Collection has galleries with permanent exhibitions, such as "Louisiana: Its Sites and Citizens" and guided tours of the collections. The Collection also has exhibits on Royal Street that change every few months and an 1889 townhouse that was owned by the family that founded the collection.
Built in the aftermath of the War of 1812, this fort was originally to protect New Orleans from invasion by sea. The citadel in the center of the fort was burned twice, leaving a brick shell. There is a museum and picnic area.
Located in New Orleans' historic arts and business district, St. Patrick's Church is a historic landmark offering an example of Gothic style architecture.
The Cabildo, the flagship building of Louisiana State Museum, was built in the late 18th century as the seat of the Spanish Municipal government in New Orleans. The building also served as the home of the Louisiana Supreme Court before becoming the home of the Louisiana State Museum in 1911.
Six separate sites which highlight different features of Louisiana culture and natural resources, such as the Battle of New Orleans site, and the nature and culture of the swamp region. There are visitor centers at each location, and no admission fees.
William Faulkner lived in this house in 1925 for a year while writing "Soldier's Pay", co-writing "Sherwood Anderson and Other Famous Creoles", and contributing to his "New Orleans Sketches". The house is now being kept up as a bookstore.
Built in 1750, Preservation Hall played an important role in New Orleans jazz history, hosting a number of famous jazz musicians through the ages and the historic venue is still open for concerts every evening, offering a family-friendly environment. Smoking and drinking are prohibited.
Located on the 1769 Spanish Arsenal grounds, this National Historic Landmark marks the site of the Battle of Liberty Place, where the Metropolitan Police of New Orleans fought against the Crescent City White League. The building now houses an exhibit exploring coffee trade and the port of New Orleans, as well as an exhibit about boats and the Mississippi River.
This National Historic Landmark was built on the site of the residence of the Capuchin monks. It was designed in 1791 to match the Cabildo, and financed by philanthropist Don Andres Almonester y Roxas.
This restored 1836 cottage is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture. Every room is furnished with French, Creole, Acadian and mid-French Louisiana antiques. A series of landscaped patios and subtropical gardens adorn the back of the home. Tours are available by appointment.
This park is dedicated to the preservation of the sites and cultural knowledge of the evolution of jazz music.
Louis Armstrong Memorial Park was created to honor Louis Armstrong, New Orleans' famous jazz trumpet player. The park is also the home of Congo Square, a space used by African-Americans to market goods, socialize and make music since before the 1800s.
The only residence of Edgar Degas in the world open to the public. In this house he created at least 17 works of art. The house doubles as a Bed & Breakfast.
Due to Hurricane Katrina, this property is temporaily closed. The gift shop remains open with limited hours. Built in 1850 by the daughter of Spanish colonial landowner Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, this National Historic Landmark consists of the Upper and Lower Pontalba Buildings in Jackson Square. The 1850 House is furnished with domestic goods and period arts, providing a glimpse of middle-class family life during one of New Orleans' most prosperous periods. A gift shop is located on site.
The Hermann-Grima House, built in 1831, depicts the lifestyle of a prosperous Creole family in New Orleans from 1830 to 1860. The Gallier house was built in 1857 by one of New Orleans' most prominent architects, James Gallier. Tours are available.
The Algiers Courthouse
The Algiers Courthouse offers a photographic display of historic Algiers jazz musicians and venues with a self-guided walking tour showing homes of some of these musicians. Built in 1896 to replace the previous courthouse, a former plantation home, it is the third oldest continuously-used Courthouse in Louisiana.
The Beauregard-Keyes House was originally built in 1826. The house changed owners several times. In 1925 Confederate General Pierre G. T. Beauregard lived in the home, and then years later it was occupied by the author Frances Parkinson Keyes. Today, the house is open for tours with many family artifacts on display.